topostat

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Major Religions in the United States

As I was studiyng the different religions in my world religions class it came to my mind which of the most famous religions that most of us know and have studied is the most predominant in the United States. So, I thought it was Roman Catholic since it is the largest Christian Church in the world followed by Protestants that have the big percents of the boards. It came to my surprise that is wasn't Roman Catholic the number one, but the Protestant that occupy a 54% of the civilization in the USA, followed by thre Roman Catholics with 25% percent. Even though I guessed that those two were the religions most practiced, it still surpised me that their respective percents weren't as high as I expected. Following these two religions goes the non religious faith, or people that don't share any beleif for any religion, with 10%, and then the Eastern Orthodox (3%), Mormon (2%), Jewish (2-3%), Muslims (2%), and a .3% and 5% for each Buddhist, Hindu, and Unitarian Unversalist. If any of you would like to know more information on the percentages or of any particular religion go to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States#Religion>, where you will find links to decriptions and information on each religion. Furthermore if you would like to see a visual of the distribution in the United States of the population that claim to participate or be adherents to any of the 149 major religious groups in the world got to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:US-religion.jpg>.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home