topostat

Thursday, April 28, 2005

beer vs chips

OK, it's not "just the chips," but the calories in three beers (450 for "average" beers) don't add up to the calories in a Whopper (650), or an 8-ounce bag of potato chips (1,200), or a large order of fries (500) at a fast food restaurant.
As noted elsewhere, if you drink one 12-ounce bottle of beer every day and don't otherwise alter your diet or your exercise regime then you can expect to gain about 15 pounds over the course of a year. Something has to give. We sure don't advocate giving up eating, but it seldom hurts to get more excercise or to think about what you are eating.
Meanwhile, here are the calorie counts for food and drink you might consider discretionary:
- A five-ounce glass of wine 125 calories (that's average, and like beer may vary quite a bit).- One ounce of distilled spirits, 90 proof, 75 calories.- Bloody Mary (1.5 ounces vodka), 130 calories.- Pina colada (8 ounces), 465 calories.- Long Island iced tea (8 ounces), 225 calories.- Martini (3 ounces), 190 calories.- Margarita (8 ounces), 300 calories.- Mint Julep (10 ounces), 210 calories.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 12:58 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 1:00 PM  

  • lost twenty pounds after I quit drinking alcohol (increased exercise was part of the reason also; I found I had a lot more enthusiasm for exercise when I wasn't hung over). I lost another 10 pounds when I quit smoking weed since I wasn't eating popcorn and Doritos all the time.

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 1:01 PM  

  • I concur with the beer=fat equation. I know when I first came to school I gained a lot of weight due to the amount of alcohol I was consuming. However, now I drink maybe 3 days a week, maybe 2 depending on how busy I am, and I have lost over 10 lbs. Granted I have started working out and not eating crap, but beer/wine/liquor/munchies all add up after a while.

    By Blogger bruckone, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home