topostat

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

What Jazz Fest Brings to New Orleans?

New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival is a 7 day event that brings thousand of tourists to New Orleans. It is held at the New Orleans Fairgrounds where the horses normally race. Even though there has been about a 20% increase on the entrance price, people continue to flow in those gates. Jazz Fest is popular for the numerous musicians that perform throughout the day. The music varies and includes worldwide famous singers, such as Nelly, bands, such as Dave Matthews Band, and even the music that is popular only to New Orleans, like jazz. Jazz Fest is also well known for its amazing food. Most of the seafood medleys that are sold can only be purchased once a year and that's at Jazz Fest. Although there is a lot of money put out for this big event, the city profits immensely. The hotels and parking lots are rarely empty, the fairgrounds are always full, and the booth lines never catch a break. Even though the prices are jacked up, there is constantly money being spent. For example, a 20 ounce Coca-Cola costs $3.00. There are many companies who help sponsor Jazz Fest as well as the people who volunteer. For instance, I worked at St. Catherine's drink booth last Sunday. The workers are volunteers and the profit goes to the needs of the school. Fortunately, multiple people benefit from this huge event. After reviewing the pro's and con's, I think it is truly worth everything. I mean who wouldn't want to go out in the sun on a gorgeous day and relax while listening to music and getting fat. The concluding factor is that Jazz Fest is a thoroughly enjoyable event that cannot be missed!

1 Comments:

  • Interesting post, though I wish there was a bit more statistical reasoning (maybe try to find out its economic impact on the city's economy?).

    I've only been to Jazzfest a few times, though I did go this past Thursday. I had a very nice time, though I had a free ticket. Unless I had someone in town visiting, I probably wouldn't have gone if I had to pay $35. It's not that expensive for the music you get, but I am a little cheap.

    The food was very good, though the portions were small. I bought a very good bread pudding for $3.50 but could have eatin five of them. I avoided paying for drinks because 1) I don't drink alcohol anymore and 2) I brought my own bottles of ice water that I froze the night before (I'm not about to pay $2 for a bottle of Dasini).

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home