topostat

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Statistics on the Cincinnati Reds website

I decided to do a post about the Cincinnati Reds (my favorite baseball team). I went to the team website: www.cincinnatireds.com to see what statistics I could find about the team. I was surprised by the number of statistics on the website and the way one could use them. For example, when I clicked on the link stats, a list of all the current Cincinnati Reds players popped up. I then was able to choose up to five players and compare them. I decided to compare batting averages and on base percentages of three Cincinnati Reds outfielders; Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, and Austin Kearns. Dunn currently has an avg of .304 and an obp of .435. Griffey currently has an avg of .234 and an obp of .328. Kearns currently has an avg of .320 and an obp of .298. As these statistics point out, batting average and on base percentage are positively correlated. This would make sense because the more hits one gets the more they will be on base. I really like how the website graphically shows the daily batting averages of my compared players; Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns. One can simply drag the mouse over the graph and see the daily comparison of batting averages for the compared players one has picked. There are a lot more statistics on the website, so everyone should go check them out.

2 Comments:

  • The best overall measure is to add slugging percentage plus on base percentage. See this article on Debate about best way to judge baseball talent continues from the Milwaukee Journal.

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 10:22 AM  

  • To learn more about baseball and statistics check out SABR (the society for baseball research), there's a great free database of every player's yearly records and team records available from www.baseball1.com. This database is in microsoft access. Also maybe see http://www.stathead.com/library/Statistics/

    By Blogger John Topoleski, at 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home