topostat

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Rugby

As this years rugby season comes to an end, I find myself counting my blessings that I am still able to walk. This was my first semester playing this game and already I have witnessed injury after devastating injury. It is not hard to see that this sport is extremely physical and dangerous but the amount of injuries that take place throughout a game is ridiculous. In my short career, I have already witnessed two season ending injuries and numerous others. The amount of injuries that took place this season has caused me to question the sanity of it's players. According to a survey done by Eastern Suburbs Sports Medicine Centre in Sydney, about 1.4 players receive a game ending injury per contest. This statistic is almost double that of the next most physical sport that comes to mind, football. 66% of rugby injuries are classified as severe, meaning the player is left unable to play for at least one game. The other 44% of injuries consist of broken noses, fingers, and black eyes, none of which are very fun. Every time you step into a rugby game the thought of being injured has to cross your mind. The good players are able to block this feeling out but after gathering these statistics, I do not see myself running out on that field anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home