topostat

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hybrids don't suck?!?

When was it decided that Hybrids were no longer going to be ugly bubble cars with limited horsepower and even greater limited style. I didn't know but this trend is falling apart. I was one of those people who thought that cutting gasoline usage was a good idea, but I wasn't willing to make what I thought was a sacrifice to get a hybrid. This was until I saw an article on hybrids in Business Week. This was on page 118 in the April 25th edition. There are hybrids out that don't make you sacrifice style or horsepower for amazing gas mileage. My favorite is the 255 HP Honda Accord that gets almost 35 miles per gallon. About a 40% increase on fuel efficiency. (My Ford Taurus only has 155 HP and barely gets gets the 20 MPG it's rated with the way I drive.)
This is not breathtaking but shows that there is progress toward the big switch. Increased performance and greater fuel efficiency what could be better? The one catch, and there is always a catch, is that the Hybrid Accord runs about $3,000 more than the standard one.
This is going to be big, there are even plans for a hybrid GMC Sierra. If they can make a truck that is capable of towing 9,000 lbs. into a hybrid then car manufacturers can do anything. I'm pretty excited about what's to come in the next few years from American companies. My next car will definitely be a hybrid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home