topostat

Sunday, April 10, 2005

www.thefacebook.com

Early in my college career I learned the fine art of procrastination as did most of my fellow classmates. Earlier this year, I discovered the Snood of my generation: thefacebook.com. This wonderful waste of time was started by a few Harvard students, apparently and has spread from the elite group of Ivy League schools to hundreds of universities across the country and even across the world. You can make a personal profile, “clubs”, announce parties, and reunite with friends from long ago.

I was interested in how many students were actually a part of thefacebook.com community so I did I search for males and females on the site (www.thefacebook.com). On the website there are 2563 males and 1093 females which means there are a total of 3656 people connected. This mean that about 29.83% of people on the site are female and about 70.10% are male.

According to the Commerce Department Census Bureau (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/000309.html) there are over 7.1 million students in universities in America, which means that .05% are a part of thefacebook.com, however I feel as that it will grow exponentially with the more schools the site adds and the more people who become aware of the site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home