topostat

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Goin' to the Chapel

My friend, who I grew up with was married over the weekend. She just turned 20, almost a year younger than me. I was completely floored at first when she announced her engagement. Like most people I thought, still think, it might have been a mistake. I think they’re too young. So I decided to see what the median age for getting married anymore is.
In 2002 it was reported that the age for males is 26.9 and the age for females is 25.3.
(http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0005061.html).
Then I started to wonder, and I know it’s horrible, how long they will last. The number of marriages in 2001 was 2,327,000, the marriage rate was 8.4 people per 1000. while the divorce rate was 4 people per 1000. that’s nearly half, not good odds.(http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/marriage.htm).
Divorce has become so cliché with Americans it seems that this number will only keep growing. Hopefully my friend will be one of the soon-to-be minority who stay together, but only time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home