topostat

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Teenage Pregnancy Statistics

The teenage years are difficult ones for everyone. There are so many different changes going on in one's life and so many different emotions that are experienced. Many teenage girls face one problem in particular- unwanted pregnancies. These types of pregnancies occur because of a few reasons, whether they be unprotected sex, rape, or just by chance, but no matter what the reason, they bring a serious issue to the table.

After reviewing this website, I had found out a number of things I did not know before. I found out that 1990 was the year with the highest rate of teen pregnancies. I also found out that the rate has declined since then. I had no idea that the rate had been declining. This surprised me in a way, for I always thought that unwanted pregnancies were a problem that wouldn't really go away. Hopefully the rates are decreasing because of more caution being used in these types of situations.

The website stated that over 800,000 teenage girls become pregnant each year. To me, this sounds like a very high number. I also learned that about 40% of these pregnancies end in abortion. This does not really surprise me, for I feel that teenage girls become scared in a situation like this, but then again who wouldn't? They feel as if they have no other choices and that their lives will be ruined being a teenage mother. The website stated that 78% of teen pregnancies are unplanned and that the number of teenage pregnancies is found to be the highest in the United States.

There are many more statistics on this site concerning teenage pregnancy, abortion, and contraceptive use. To find out more....
http://womensissues.about.com/od/statistics/a/teenpregstats.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home